09 October 2014

The Proposal

I can be quite certain that all girls (maybe some guys) between the age of 27 to 30 had gone through almost the same awkward conversation like this during family gathering :-
 
Me : Hi Aunty/Uncle
XX : Hi dear! It's been some time since i last see you. How old are you now?
Me : 27
XX : Oh...you have any boyfriend/girlfriend?
Me : Um...yes..
XX : When are you getting married?
Me : ........ (smile)
XX : (suspicious look) It's better to get married now you know. At your age is just nice for babies after married. Too old very difficult to get pregnant...bla bla bla
Me : .......ahahahahah..... (please leave me alone =_=!! )
 
Sincerely, thanks for reminding but that's not really a girl's call, at least not for me. One part of me is hoping for that day to come due to all the invisible pressures. The other part of me is rejecting the idea all together because getting married means having to leave my home, leaving my family, starting a new family which no one knows how it’s gonna be. After marriage, I will have to assume responsibility of a grown up. Doing house chores, cooking ???! cleaning, doing the laundry etc. What if I couldn’t get along with MIL?
 
See, that's how simply complicated thing can get inside my tiny little head. Dilemma is what you call it. Why do I want to get married? Is it because everyone think I should be married at this age? Or is it because I am a bit concern of late pregnancy? Well, no. I don’t wish to rush it because I don’t think I am ready at all. But all those pressures just kept hitting me like machine gun and it left me no choice but to transfer that to my other half =P
 
We talk about it sometimes, just as little as you can imagine. Sometimes I tried to hint that we should get married. Sometimes I refuse to talk about it assuming that I am not getting married anytime soon. Sometimes I created a bit of uneasy situation quoting that you might/might not be the one just to look less desperate (LOL). So, life goes on as usual and we are back enjoying our dating time. Forgetting totally of getting married and stuffs like that. Why keep the pressure exerted by outsider who has no control over what we can chose to do? =)
 
Alright, enough for cover up (lol). The day came after all. It was on my 28th Birthday that Kent send flower to my workplace for the first time. There’s nothing to hoo-haa about receiving flowers on your birthday but I was really, really surprised. It has always been my little secret to receive flowers in office. I used to hope that the flower dispatch guy would call for my name whenever they came to send flowers. Envying the lucky girl who received the bouquet while on the other hand thinking about the sad moment that the flowers may eventually die. Dilemma. Dilemma. Dilemma.
 
He asked what I would like to have for my birthday dinner and I replied home cooked food? And there we are, having a customized candle light dinner. I could barely remember all the details other than a heartwarming meal. My next wish is to be back at my own home for a good shower and rest. So, he sent me home without much complaint which he usually did. Well, maybe because it’s my birthday.
 
So, I walk into the house with Kent carrying the bouquet behind. (It was a heavy bouquet). Mum was at the living hall when I was home. She was smiling at me so happily that I can barely see her eyes. I was like “ Huh? Why are you so happy?” and she diverted her eye contact to Kent. Well, stupid enough, I never felt anything fishy, just tired. So I went straight to my room and Kent followed.
 
I was less than 3m from my room that I saw something on my bed. It was pitch dark and all I could think of is “OMG! My undies are all over my room this morning! I can’t let him see this?!?!” But it was too late. I switched on the light while trying to divert his attention away and again another surprised
 
It was another bouquet of flower and a Proposal Ring!!
I was stunned. Kent walk ahead, grab the flowers and in a second he’s on his knee.
Me : ….. (Surprised+Stunned+Happy+Shy+Lost)
Kent : (He looked shy and not so serious. Most probably nervous too) Will you marry me?
Me : ….. (Stunned+Lost+Worried)
Kent : I know I may not…..(I can’t remember what he said! I was like living in my own world that moment
Me (In my mind) : (Blank for 1 minute. Hold on. What is this? I am getting married?? I have to leave this home? This family?) (Start to Sob)
Kent : (Continue to convince me)
Me : (Stared at him for a moment) Can I say no?
Kent : (Confused)
Me : I am not ready yet…(nervous)
We talked about other things in between that is irrelevant until a point
Kent : So, can I stand up now?
Me : Hahahahha…..but if you stand up means I agreed??
 
Now that explained why there’s no video, no picture and no outsiders are involve in the proposal. Kent had predicted that this is how things gonna turn out to be (awkwardness)