16 May 2016

How We Survive An Eat-Out With a Baby


In fact, I doubt if I am qualified to share this because we are still learning to survive. WTH.

I never really understand the hectic and fuss of going out with kids. "How bad could that be? You will probably just have to give the little one a little bit more attention". Yah Right?!?!

Well, let me re-enact the disastrous day when we ambitiously went out without considering any of the crucial point!!!

We were at 1U for the first time after my confinement. Eagerly wish to be out of the house for some fresh air. Instead of enjoying the trip, I ended feeling exhausted. Thanks to those sleepless night plus taking care of Baby S in the daytime. I guess I wasn't ready to go out too as I am still recovering from delivery.

We were basically just strolling around the mall without any purpose. As usual, we only started looking for places to eat when both of us got really hungry. Well, that's perfectly normal and we see nothing wrong with it.

When we finally made up our mind of where to eat, settled down and ordered our food, Baby S is already hungry, sleepy, tired and dirty.

I guess there is no necessity to elaborate further. We didn't get to enjoy the food.

I had to run around the mall looking for nursing room with a crying baby in the stroller. Passerby is looking at my hungry baby, crying for his milk. They starred at my baby and then at me. I guess they might think that I am a bad mummy.

I got stressed up when the 'nearest' nursing room is occupied and it's located inside the toilet (unhygiene!)

Basically, I was running to the next nursing room! I didn’t even think twice to ask to use the nursing chair from a mother who was waiting for her turn to change her Baby. Desperate!

When we are finally done, I am already feeling like 'dying'. I am still recovering from my delivery and my body just doesn’t feel like how it used to be. I can't imagine I was running around with my 'loose hips'!!

Kent waited for us at the restaurant. The food is cold when we return. Since I was superb hungry, there's no time for photos or comments. Just wallop the food on the table. Before I could finish quarter of it, Baby S started crying again (wanted to sleep). Again, I was feeling embarrassed with a crying baby in a restaurant. I can totally 'feel' those stares from everywhere!

I carried him outside to cool him down.

I was so stressed up. Scary thoughts like 'throwing the baby off the railing' crossed my mind!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!  I hold on to Baby S real tight while telling myself NO NO NO!!!! That's not going to happen!!!!!! That was the time that I am still recovering from post-natal depression.

I cried that day and caught into a quarrel with Kent.

------- END -------

I felt like crying remembering those painful moments!

Let's just not fall into the same situation as we did because there's no need to when you should considered these salient points before stepping out of the house!

1. Location and the traveling time

We ensure that we only visit one or the max. two places in one trip. If the destination is too far, I will have to 'entertain' him in the car. Toys are essential. We wouldn't want to go to any places further than an hour drive. Otherwise, by the time we reach, Baby S is most likely hungry and sleepy.

2. Temperature

Of course air-conditioned or well ventilated restaurant will be the preferred choice especially if he happened to fall asleep at that time. The golden time to dine is when you Baby sleeps!!!!

3. Space

The restaurant gotta be spacious enough for the baby stroller and also for baby seat. We would most likely pass cramped restaurant as there is higher chances of occupational hazard.

4. Ambience

 Restaurant with loud music is a big no-no. Baby S will cry louder than the music! WTH. I would not prefer an overly quiet restaurant either. Otherwise, if Baby S really does cry, his noise will be echoed and that is something I wanna avoid at all price. Bye bye fine dining and pubs!

5. SMELL or more like smoke-free

I loves street food but not the second hand smoke. Chances that you will be exposed to smokers are definately higher if you dine at kopitiam. The cooking smell that I hate during prenancy is going to haunt me and gonna make Baby S stinks!

6. Toys, Food & Anything to distract his attention

 Provided he is distracted by it otherwise there's no point bringing all the toys.

7. Serving Time

This is essential because time is diamond when you eat out with kids! They are not going to sit there for hours while you enjoy your 5 course meals. 

8. Getting HELP

I consider this as the most important piece of advise! Get HELP! You can always get help from people around you. Let them take care of Baby S so that you can have some peace of mind meal. We take turn to eat if necessary.

Learn to share the roles and responsibilities.

Learn to let go when you need to.

Sometimes daddy can do better job than mummy.

We are enjoying most of our trips now!

With Love

Wish us good luck when Baby S start on solid.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts?